ORGANISATION/COMPANYUniversitat Pompeu Fabra
RESEARCH FIELDArts › Visual artsHistory › Art history
RESEARCHER PROFILEEstablished Researcher (R3)Recognised Researcher (R2)
APPLICATION DEADLINE18/11/2017 00:00 - Europe/Brussels
LOCATIONSpain › Barcelona
TYPE OF CONTRACTTemporary
HOURS PER WEEK37,5
OFFER STARTING DATE01/09/2018
The postdoctoral tenure track position in History of Art (Visual Culture and Cultural Studies) is a combined research and teaching position. This announcement is part of the UPF-Department of Humanities strategy to recruit talented researchers in high priority research disciplines.
The candidate must hold a Ph.D. qualification in the field of History of Art. He or she will need to have developed research within the spheres of cultural studies and visual culture without being limited to a specific historical period, though it would be desirable for the candidate to have explored a contemporary perspective. A track record of publications with a reflective interest in the History of Art will be appreciated, along with interdisciplinary methodological openness and an ability to work within more than one historical context. An interest on the part of the candidate in debates that critically analyse the social, cultural and political dimensions of art will be viewed in a highly positive light.
The candidate will need to meet the following requirements: having taken part in research projects within the framework of national or international programmes; having published papers internationally; and being prepared to embark on new research projects, ideally as lead researcher.
The following shall be expected from the candidate: to join the Faculty team in the area of the History of Art; to teach in the sphere of Humanities and Global Studies; to take part in the Department’s research activities; and to ultimately hold management positions.
A command of English and Spanish or Catalan is essential and knowledge of other languages would be an asset.
In terms of additional distinctions: professional expertise in museums and experience as curator for exhibitions or social projects involving practices associated with art and its disciplines would be an advantage.
Salary: up to 60,000 euros. The salary depends on the successful candidate’s qualifications and experience.
The position involves a fixed-term contract for six years. One year before the contract expires, the candidate will be assessed by the Department’s Teaching Staff Committee. The outcome will determine whether the candidate is recommended to stay in the position as a permanent researcher or whether the contract will be terminated at the end of the year.
The selection process will unfold in two stages. The first stage will involve an assessment of the specific merits of each candidate for which their presence will not be necessary as this stage will function as a qualifying round. The best candidates chosen at the first stage will take part in the second, which will consist of a demonstration and a live interview, for which candidates will need to be present so their suitability to the position on offer may be assessed.
- Stage one (distance):
- Descriptive report on teaching background (number of subjects): 30%
- Assessment of teaching activity: 25%
(results of student surveys satisfaction with teaching given and/or reports from teaching partners, further reports from academic representatives)
- Professional development: 20%
(training activities followed and taught, teaching innovation activities and experience with teaching coordination)
- Teaching project: 25%
Each section shall be assessed on a 10-point basis
- Publications and dissemination of research results (participation in conferences, seminars, etc.): 50%
- Research project: 20%
- Supervision and/or participation in research projects and resulting scientific output: 15%
- Other merits (including possible dissertation supervision): 15%
Each section shall be assessed on a 10-point basis
- Stage two (live interview):
Candidates chosen during the first stage will be required to give a public seminar on their research. This will be followed by interviews with members of the Selection Committee from the Department/UCA and/or other lecturers from the Department.
Public seminar on research
The public seminar will be one hour long and involve a presentation on the candidate’s research which should be given in two languages (English and Catalan or Spanish), structured as follows:
- Noteworthy aspects and innovative content
- Relevance of the theoretical framework and methodology
- Resources, sources and bibliography
- Knowledge transfer for teaching
The Selection Committee shall assess each of the sections on a 10-point basis where each section accounts for 25% of the overall evaluation.
The candidate will be interviewed in an open session by the Selection Committee and all lecturers from the Department who wish to take part. The interview content shall be as follows:
- The candidate’s suitability to the strategic lines and research of the Department
- The candidate’s integration into the Department/UCA’s research projects and groups
- The candidate’s innovation in research and potential contributions to the research groups and projects of the Department/UCA
- Integration of the teaching project into the degrees of the Department
The Selection Committee will issue a report assessing the first two areas on a 20-point basis, and the second two areas will also be assessed on a 20-point basis; in other words, each two-area block will be weighted at 50%.
In order to apply to this call for applications, you will need to send the following documentation by email to email@example.com quoting reference number 2017-HUMA/TT01:
- Ph.D. qualification, or a receipt confirming it has been applied for
- Full CV
- Document specifying the applicant’s 5 foremost contributions in the field of research (journal articles, books, book chapters, etc.)
- Descriptive report on the applicant’s background as a teacher based on the following format:
- Teaching activity report
- Teaching activity assessment: results of student surveys charting their satisfaction with teaching given (or positive assessment certificate issued by the teaching institution)
- Professional development
- Training activities followed and taught
- Teaching innovation activities
- Experience in teaching coordination
- Descriptive report on the applicant’s background as a researcher based on the following format:
- Publications and dissemination of research results (participation in conferences, seminars, etc.)
- Supervision and/or participation in research projects and resulting scientific output
- Dissertation supervision (completed and in progress)
- Other merits: awards and prizes, research stays, positions of scientific responsibility, etc.
- A summarised statement of the applicant’s teaching and research interests in keeping with the specific field to which the six-year vacancy contract pertains (no more than 5,000 characters including spaces)
- Five recommendation letters (at least one of which must be by an academic representative)
- A teaching project relating to the specific field to which the six-year contract vacancy pertains
- A research project relating to the specific field to which the six-year contract vacancy pertains
- Submission of applications: the application needs to be submitted no later than 17/11/2017 (before midnight Spanish time)
- Results on candidates chosen in the first distance stage: second half of January 2018
- Live interview stage and results: January and February 2018
- Results of live interview stage: February-March 2018
- Incorporation of successful candidate: September 2018
Results of the selection process
The list of candidates chosen in each stage will be published on the website https://www.upf.edu/web/humanitats/convocatoria-de-places
One year before the contract expires, the candidate will be assessed by the Department’s Teaching Staff Committee. The outcome will determine whether the candidate is recommended to stay in the position as a permanent researcher or whether the contract will be terminated at the end of the year.
- Report on the research activity and scientific output completed during the first 4 years (publications, research stays, supervision and participation in research groups and projects, etc.): 40%
- Results of the teaching satisfaction surveys for the subjects taught during the first 4 years
- Report on teaching activity, including training undertaken during the first 4 years
- Development of the teaching project
Management and other merits: 20%
In the event of a negative assessment, the candidate will have a further year on the contract prior to its expiry.
Candidates receiving a positive assessment will have one year in order to secure accreditation from the Agència per a la Qualitat del Sistema Universitari de Catalunya (AQU Catalunya or the Catalan University Quality Assurance Agency) in order to be eligible to fill a permanent post.
- To hold a Ph.D. qualification in the field of History of Art
- If the Ph.D. qualification was issued by UPF, the candidate will need to have been contractually separated from the institution for at least two years since securing the Ph.D. qualification
- Three years’ post-doctoral research activity
- Languages: Catalan and/or Spanish and English
EURAXESS offer ID: 220155
The responsibility for the jobs published on this website, including the job description, lies entirely with the publishing institutions. The application is handled uniquely by the employer, who is also fully responsible for the recruitment and selection processes.
Please contact firstname.lastname@example.org if you wish to download all jobs in XML.